Direct Support Counselor C.#69
Company: HART United
Posted on: August 3, 2022
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Direct Support Counselor will
be responsible for the operation of the residential facility and
the implementation of the individuals' programs. The Direct Support
Counselor shall provide support and guidance to the individuals and
maintain a home-like atmosphere. The Direct Support Counselor will
be responsible for assigning, supervising, and assisting with
duties for housekeeping and general duties of the house & complete
cleaning tasks, as well as providing counseling and spiritual life
support. Provide assistance to the individuals in developing and
maintaining appropriate living skills and cooperative interaction
among the individuals. RESPONSIBILITIES WITH RESIDENTS: The Direct
Support Counselor will be responsible for providing general
guidance and supervision of individuals' lives and activities. *
Ensure physical safety of all individuals
* Be aware of individuals' whereabouts when at the home and away
from the house
* Recognize and report any suspected incidents of abuse or
* Enforce house rules with individuals
* Interact with and provide in-house leisure activities during
down-time. The Direct Support Counselor will be responsible for
addressing each individuals' IP goals. * Providing input prior to
* Attending IP's as needed
* Implementing programs and Documenting as prescribed
* Reviewing all 6-month review and annual reports
* Ensures that residents are treated with respect and dignity and
they are encouraged to exercise their rights. The Direct Support
Counselor will be responsible for overseeing house operations. * To
supervise and provide instruction and assist or complete as needed
with individuals' daily and weekly chores.
* To be aware of the condition of individuals' rooms and to prompt
them when extra cleaning, sorting, etc. needs to be done and to
assist or complete.
* To supervise and help prepare meals according to doctors'
* To supervise and instruct each individual in the use of laundry
equipment and proper procedures for caring for clothes. You may
have to assist or complete as needed.
* Shopping for groceries, household items, and individual
* Hygiene - Provide counseling and/or hands on assistance for
toileting, bathing, etc. The Direct Support Counselor will have the
following medical responsibilities: * To provide medical attention
to and care for minor illnesses (headache, cold, virus, minor
* To be able to judge seriousness and urgency of the individual's
complaint and to decide if the situation warrants emergency room
treatment or diagnosis; physician appointment; nurse consultation;
or home treatment. The Direct Support Counselor should contact
administrative staff or medical consultants as appropriate.
* Administration of medications per DDS regulations.
* Ensure appropriate use of adaptive equipment and to ensure that
said equipment is in proper working condition.
* Order medications as needed Medical appointments: * Ensure
individuals receive needed emergency medical care
* Schedule routine medical appointments as needed.
* Transport and accompany individuals to appointments as
* Complete follow up recommendations/orders The Direct Support
Counselor will be responsible for providing counseling for
individuals as requested and as needed. * Recognize and address
potentially dangerous situations in a timely manner (such as
behavioral emergencies, physical hazards, etc.) The Direct Support
Counselor will be responsible for providing guidance and
reinforcement to individuals regarding their vocational
responsibilities and future. * To discuss the importance of
attending work regularly, being on time, taking only authorized
breaks, work attitudes, appropriate appearance, etc.
* To discuss vocational options and preparation needed to reach an
individual's vocational goals as appropriate.
* Assist, as needed, with self-transporting skills to and from
* Transportation to and from work as needed The Direct Support
Counselor will implement all recreational activities planned. STAFF
RESPONSIBILITIES: * The Direct Support Counselor will attend and
participate in required monthly staff meetings.
* The Direct Support Counselor will be responsible for
communicating relevant information regarding
individual/staff/facility needs to their Residential Supervisor.
RESPONSIBILITIES TO HOUSE ADMINISTRATION: The Direct Support
Counselor will have responsibility for maintaining individual
resident files and maintaining appropriate level of
confidentiality. The Direct Support Counselor will also maintain
daily documentation in: * At beginning of shift read
* Communication log or house T-Log to be completed before end of
* Individuals' daily logs or individual T-Logs to be completed
before end of shift
* Individuals' program books (as needed) or ISP's to be completed
before end of shift
* Nursing log/nursing health T-Log to be completed before end of
* The Direct Support Counselor will be responsible for reporting
concerns and problems from parents and family in a timely fashion
to the Residential Supervisor. Will respond to parent and family
concerns if and when appropriate or call to the Residential
Supervisor if issue is of more sensitive nature or if situation is
* Arrive to shift promptly and find coverage for shift(s) when
requesting time off. SUPERVISION: * Have an interest in the welfare
of the residents
* Have the ability to work well with others.
* The Direct Support Counselor is to report to, and be directly
responsible to, the Residential Supervisor.
* The Direct Support Counselor will perform other related duties as
requested by the Residential Supervisor, the Residential Director,
or the Executive Director. This includes, but is not limited to,
covering another house in case of emergency.
Keywords: HART United, Hamden , Direct Support Counselor C.#69, Other , Hamden, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!